A fine reproduction map of a Plan of Birmingham, Surveyed by Thomas Hanson, 1778. Engraved by H/J Roe. The actual map is surrounded by black and white illustrations of some of the towns principal buildings. On the right are the two churches St. Martin’s and St. Philip’s, and on the left is St, Mary’s Chapel, St. Bartholemew’s Chapel, the Free School, the hospital, St. Paul’s Chapel, the Charity School, the Hotel, St. John’s Chapel, Mr. Green’s House, and, slightly separate, the New Meeting House.
The Chapel of St. Paul’s can be seen in the top left of the mapped area, surrounded by newly cut streets that are still to be built on; much of this area is now incorporated into the Jewellery Quarter and many of these houses-to-be are still standing. At the bottom right the Digbeth and Deritend High Street stretches out with Henry Bradford’s estate emerging nearby and at the top right the Aston estates can be seen beginning to be built.
Near the Bull Ring you can find the Shambles (butcher’s shops) and corn market topped with a tiny dot which is the Old Cross. St. Philip’s church can be seen surrounded by the tree lined promenades which were popular at the time, and just to the left of the church is Bennett’s Hill House and its own large garden and tree walks.
CARTOGRAPHER: Thomas Hanson